About the Chef
Chef Ruben Flores continues to wave the excellent cuisine of his background as one of the top chefs in the Rio Grande Valley, into a classic combination of flavors and colors from the Mexican Border to all over the world. Always innovative, his techniques to develop new preparations reflect excellence and quality.
Chef Flores is a member of the Texas Chef’s Association, and has built a reputation among food experts. Clientele have followed his path, in the most recognized spots, during the last 36 years. In such places, as the McAllen Sheraton Hotel and Resort Inn, the McAllen Country Club and Embassy Suites Hotel.
Chef Flores joined Centerplate as Executive Chef at the McAllen Convention Center in March 2007, bringing with him a distinguished experience to take Centerplate to its maximum exposure, to be the most popular and complete catering services in the area, offering five-star quality foods for all social and corporative events.
Chef Ruben says, ”The relationship between me, as a “Chef” and the “guest”, is in the way I love to cook and they love to eat. It always has to be both ways to have a great meal experience.”
McALLEN, TX • (956) 681-3800
Whiskey Braised Beef Short Rib
• 4 Boneless Beef Short Ribs, 9 oz Portions Raw
• (or you can also use 8 pieces that are
• 4-5 oz Raw)
• 4 cup of Flour, All-purpose
• 4 tbsp Vegetable Oil or Canola Oil
• 1 large Onion (Spanish or White Onion)
• 1 Celery Rib Stock
• 1 large Carrot, Peeled
• 3 cloves Garlic
• 2 cups Wine, Red
• 4 oz Whiskey or Bourbon
• 3 cups Stock, Beef or Chicken
• 2 tbsp Tomato Paste
• 1 Bay Leaf
• 1 tsp Thyme Herb, Chopped
• 1 tsp Rosemary, Chopped
• 2 tbsp Parsley, Chopped
• 4 oz Butter, Unsalted, Semi-Hard
• Salt, Sea
• Pepper, Black
• Dice all your vegetables (1” dice). Chop garlic and set aside. Pick and chop herbs, thyme, rosemary, parsley and set aside.
• Dredge beef in flour seasoned with salt and pepper. Shake off extra flour.
• Pre-heat a skillet and brown beef on all sides until dark golden brown.
• Use a Dutch oven or a stove top deep pan and heat over high heat till hot. Add 2 spoons of vegetable oil and add onions, carrots, and celery. Cook until brown.
• Reduce heat to medium and add garlic. Sauté until vegetables are brown.
• Next add red wine, tomato paste, thyme, rosemary, and parsley and bring to a boil.
• Return beef short ribs to pan or Dutch oven, add 2 oz of whiskey. Cover tightly and place in oven or cover on stove top.
• Cook approximately 2 hours or until beef is fork tender, but not falling apart. Save the cooking juices in the pan with the cover on.
• Remove cooked beef and strain vegetables off the sauce. Blend vegetables using a hand blender or a food mill, then add back to sauce and reduce until desired consistency.
• Add the remaining whiskey or bourbon and simmer for 5 minutes.
• Season to taste and stir in 4 oz of the semihard butter into the sauce.